Can anyone tell me what breed of chicken this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nkkennedy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. nkkennedy

nkkennedy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Hey All,

Can anyone tell me this breed of chicken? I recently adopted her and I am trying to figure it out. I was thinking a golden sex link or a buff orpington? She is about 3 and might have a little weight to gain (Not really Sure).
    Thanks!!

[​IMG]

I also recently adopted this Australorp ( I think? ). She is about 2 and a half months old. Is anyone able to tell if she is a hen or roo?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 2 pictures below are from 2 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Interesting, your buff bird has white ears. That's not very common. I'd say she might be a Buff Minorca, but I'd have to see her body better.

3. nkkennedy

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Ill try to get a better picture of her!

4. OrpieOwner

OrpieOwner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    I am thinking either a Cochin or a Buff Orpington.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that you have a Buff Orpington. Her earlobes do look kind of white in this photo, but I do see some red. I know that when my red earlobed birds are hot or relaxed, their earlobes fade out in color, so that might have been the case when you took the photo. Also, hatchery birds don't always fit the breed standard, and might not always have the correct earlobe color. She does not appear to have the right build to be a Buff Minorca.

As for your Australorp, it probably is an Australorp. I think I see white bottoms to the feet, whereas a Jersey Giant (which looks like a Australorp) would have yellow feet bottoms. And, I'm leaning towards it being a rooster. That's a lot of red comb and wattle for only being ten weeks old.

Hope I've helped!

6. nkkennedy

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Thanks! Yeah I am leaning towards orpington too. Its funny that you say that about the ears. I noticed that her ears seemed more red then white later on that day. ( I only noticed they were white because someone pointed it out...then I went and looked and they seemed to be more red). We will see.

Thanks for the info about the australorp. I have my fingers crossed for a girl!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree about the white earlobes, but otherwise the hen looks like a buff oprington and your little black guy is a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by