Can anyone tell me what breed these girls are please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CoolClucker, Jul 25, 2013.

1. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chirping

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    My girls are 5 weeks old now, and they don't look like any of the breeds I ordered from the hatchery. They are mystery chicks it seems. Anyways, any help is appreciated! Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gilmoujr

gilmoujr In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    Easter Eggers as far as I can tell.

3. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chirping

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    You know what's funny? The hatchery I ordered them from doesn't sell Easter Eggers! So where the heck did these two come from? [​IMG]

4. Cplatt00

Cplatt00 In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Yes they look a lot like Easter eggers.

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Songster

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Do they have "Ameraucanas" , "Araucana", "Americanas" , or any other spelling variation? Then those are Easter Eggers. Most hatcheries sell mutt versions of the pure breed, and those are all called EEs.

That silver colored chick with the green legs is an EE.

6. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Took the words right out of my mouth! [​IMG]

7. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chirping

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    They do have Araucana. Here's a pic of the two Araucanas I have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (sorry about the poo! [​IMG])
    So not all Araucans have the puffy cheeks? These two I know for sure are Araucana, they look so different from the ones in question. Wow!

8. RockerHen

RockerHen Songster

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Those are not araucana, those are easter eggers ;) like others have said, most hatcheries sell easter eggers under the name ameraucana or araucana. A true araucana would be rumpless and have distinctive tufts of feathers near its ears, not "puffy cheeks" or a beard. Those birds you have will still lay you colored eggs, and be beautiful parts of your flock, but are not actually a standardized breed, rather mutts with ameraucana or araucana in their ancestry somewhere.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  9. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Songster

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Some EEs have beards and some are clean faced. They also have various leg and feather colors. They're so diverse because of the fact that the hatcheries don't breed to any sort of standard and they have mixed good laying breeds like the Leghorn in there to get them to lay better.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2, they are easter eggers

here a pic of true araucana, too bad I dont have pics of mine I had to get this one from feathersite
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: