Can anyone tell me what colour Dusty is?(Muscovy duck)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have never quite figured this out. Now she did have one surviving duckling last year, he turned out to be a black. She's been bred back to the same drake again(he's a black) this year but without knowing what she is it's hard to figure out what could happen with this clutch.

[​IMG]

Her colour runs through her back and down partly on the tail, otherwise she is white, and yes that is her in the current nest. Her idea, completely lol

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    blue pied maybe just mismarked? She is very pretty. I played with the genetics calculator and if she is blue pied, you'd get blues and blacks (if the drake is solid black including the head)

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you, she just seems not blue if that makes any sense? i have one blue duck and had several blue drakes last year but hers seems different, she came from a breeder but nobody can remember what they said for colour ... we just needed ducks and bad so we took whatever colours we could get lol

The drake is not a solid black... best i got lol i realized we really don't have any good pictures of him. He has shimmers of green and purple, he produced several boys that were carbon copies of himself last year when he bred with the blue duck we have, she's in this shot too.

[​IMG]

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Since he's got the white head, you'll probably get more variables in offsping. It will depend on what colors are in her background though. I'd say she's pied but whatever her other color is will depend on what she throws. The babies will be split to her coloring (his is dominant) so then breeding the babies will reproduce her colors in some manner.

Regardless, she is very nice looking.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thanks, ill show you what her lone duckling looked like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funny now looking at those pics he's looking more blue... he's one of the guys we lost so i think these are some of the last pictures before he was killed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    He was a handsome fellow. I know color can be hard in pics but just by looking I'd say blue pied but he's got a black head. Hmm. I've seen pics of blues with very dark heads, with white heads, pied and with the same shade all over, never before blue pied with a black head. I know he was still relatively young when you lost him so I wonder what he would've matured like.

You should expect some that are similar looking from your current broody. Because she is more white, you could get some that show that.

Genetics are so odd. With my last muscovy, 2 black pied, I got 2 white ducklings in the bunch from their hatch. With my current ones, I'm thinking I'll breed for the chocolate, just because I like the color and it seems like it would blend better in the landscape than black, to help with predators.

I know your girl just started setting so about a month to go. And I know I don't need to remind you to post pics when they hatch. [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you, he was nice.. we wanted to keep him since he was our first ever hatched duckling but so much for that [​IMG] He was only a few months i want to say 3ish but i'd have to dig through old posts and my paperwork lol

I have 4 chocolates now(which i think you knew?) of coarse the one I hatched the other 3 were sex linked. They are fairly, er.. camouflaged because of that at least they don't show the spring mud [​IMG]

and of coarse i'll post pics when they hatch! just everyone hope for girls, okay? [​IMG]

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    LOL

I actually love your chocolates. Mine are all barred but the solids are so pretty. Lighter colors work better for my purposes. I don't think that my drake would be hard to spot. He matured to a similar look of yours but still has some barring on his chest, otherwise mostly black, white head. I did end up with 8 males out of 13 ducklings. Maybe its the winter temps? I'll see in another 1.5 weeks or so if that holds true.

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I like the chocolates but now i sorta have this white and chocolate flock lol With the black drake, the blue duck and whatever the heck dusty is lol 8 drakes out of 13? hmm still better than my 8 out of 9 [​IMG]

Dusty better have a girl in this little nest, i don't even know what is under her, she is such a bulldog, worse than last year... [​IMG]

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, here's hoping for girls for you. Boys suit my needs better.

My 2 current broodies don't seem as bad as my first but we'll see. My last one got 200X worse once they hatched. I'd never had a duck fly at my face when I was near a baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by