Can anyone tell me what Gender this chick is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ShaneWalsh, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ShaneWalsh

ShaneWalsh New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I adopted him/her from the pound and they didn't know what he/she was, but I've been under the impression it was a rooster just based off my own vibes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    looks like you got a little boy on your hands

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I would say boy but no idea on breed.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Male, for sure, 100%.
    I'd say you have a pretty little barnyard mix there.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Between feather color, leg color, and lightly puffy cheeks, I'd say you have a very common colored ee rooster. However more then likely he doesn't carry the colored egg gene with his single comb.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Would you still consider him to be an EE if he doesn't carry the blue egg gene? Isn't the blue egg gene THE deciding factor on whether or not a bird is an EE?

IMO, if a mixed-parentage bird doesn't carry the blue egg gene, it is just a mutt. If it does carry the blue egg gene, it is a mutt with a special name--Easter Egger--no matter what it looks like. For instance, I have a bird with a partridge pattern, green legs and fluffy cheeks and a straight comb. She lays brown eggs. A mutt. I also have a bird that looks for all the world like a production red with a modified pea comb. Red body, yellow legs, no beard or muffs. She lays a green egg. Easter Egger. Both have the same Easter Egger father.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I would agree, but I have seen a flock of ee's that all carried the egg color throw one baby that didn't. To be honest I couldn't even tell what color egg gene he carried because when he was accidentlly crossed to a silkie, the offspring laid a silkie colored egg. When he later crossed with a lakenvelder, the offspring laid a white egg. But all the parents in that flock and all of the offspring from that flock had the colored egg gene. Just this one didn't, he was also the only single combed chick off of that flock. He was also the only cross-beak that ever came from that flock. So what would he have been called, if both parents were ee's? Another thought is why are ee's sold as possibly laying a pink (lightly tinted brown egg) or brown eggs? Just some questions that are floating through my head [​IMG], I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

8. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    X2

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    cockerel

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed