Can anyone tell me what I am looking at?(pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RightFromtheStartDoula, Apr 14, 2009.

1. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    Store bought egg for reference...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my light blue egg...
    [​IMG]

What is wrong with this one?..is this a bad egg?..Should I remove it?..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    How long have you had the eggs in incubation? I usually wait till day 7 on white eggs and day 10 on dark.
    Good luck with a nice hatch!

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    First of all, how old are the eggs??? [​IMG]

2nd- looks pretty good. I think I can see the embryo in their...and maybe the dark circle of the eye bobbing around..?

3rd- maybe...not sure what that huge dark mass is...

4th- looks pretty good

5th- looks pretty good also

You should see veining by day 4-7. But it's harder to help tell you about the eggs if we don't know how old they are.

4. RightFromtheStartDoula

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    It's only day 2 of incubation..I don;t know how old they were before I got them.....is the air sac on 1 end a good sign?...Most of them have the air sac ...and then there are 2 that look like the last pic I added...is that bad?..Should I remove it?

5. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    If it is only day 2 of incubation you are not going to be able to see anything. They all look pretty normal except for the last egg. It is really pourous, meaning that is an older egg. You can incubate it if you want to. It may or may not grow.

6. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    In 7 or 10 days you will know for sure. It is a porous egg, but I have many porous shell eggs to hatch, contrary to what I have seen on other posts. I would just wait and see what happens.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Not much you can see on day 2. Check again in 5 more days. But for day 2 they all look right. The last one has a shell that is not a consistent thickness. It may hatch just fine.

8. cluckingcanadian

cluckingcanadian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I am new to hatching but I am sure your last egg is just porous, not bad. I have found this page super helpful when candling eggs.

My first attempt at hatching I was candling almost daily. I am on my second hatch and candled yesterday (day 3) and saw veining in all my eggs. I won't candle again until probably day 10 now.

Good luck!

9. RightFromtheStartDoula

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    I am sorry....I know I should be waiting to candle but we are just so darn EXCITED!!!!....I called the farm we got the eggs from and he said that he had just pulled them right before we got there and they had just been layed with in that hour...so it really is only day 2 for them...

I promise I will wait now until day 5 to candle again....[​IMG].....

10. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    [​IMG] I can so relate!! Hang in there and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by