Can anyone tell me what is wrong - from this 'Egg'?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeteB1978, May 27, 2019.

1. PeteB1978

PeteB1978 Hatching

May 27, 2019
    Poulton UK
    Hi Everyone, I have a bit of mystery on my hands with one of my birds. She is a Rhode and normally a fantastic layer but about 6 weeks ago she just stopped after restarting from winter. I have 3 birds and the other two are laying everyday, so I ruled out the diet. She doesnt seem broody but I have seen her go into the box to lay but not actual produce an egg. I have wormed them all, checked for mites, she is not molting etc. It was a mistery and I was a bit unsure what to do next, when she 'layed' this yesterday. At first I thought it was poo in the box but it was absolutely solid, when I did put enough pressure on it to break, it had a clear runny centre, so it was suppose to be an egg. Rhode is my only girl who lays red eggs, so I know it was from her. Can this help anyone identify what is wrong with her?
    I have also included a pic of her so you can see her comb and general health - incase there is something I have missed. Thanks for any help or guidance, As I am absolutely stuck with this one.

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :frow Hi @PeteB1978 Welcome To BYC

Do you happen to have photos of what the inside looked like too?
    To me, that looks like a "Lash Egg" which is Salpingitis, an inflammation of the oviduct.
    That lash material can impact the oviduct and sometimes be found in the abdomen as well. If she were mine, I would consider treating her with antibiotics to see if that helps.
    Baytril can be used, but it is banned for use in laying hens by the FDA but many vets and backyard keepers do use it to extend life and give supportive care to their hens - you would just not eat any normal eggs that she might lay in the future. You could also try Amoxicillin as well. Both Baytril and Amoxicillin can be ordered online.

Here's some reading about Salpingitis and the causes:
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/salpingitis-in-poultry
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

DobieLover likes this.
  3. PeteB1978

PeteB1978 Hatching

May 27, 2019
    Poulton UK
    Thanks Wyorp Rock, It does seem to be a lash Egg. The center was a clear liquid with a couple of bits of yellow (looked like small bits of scrambled egg). I didnt get a pic unfortunately.

I have read the articles which have really helped and a bit concerning, but I still have a couple of questions;

Even after the antibiotics can you 'Never' have the eggs again?If yes - Is this because the infection was caused by a bacteria such as Ecoli / salmonella?

Second question: Is her infection potentially a risk for the other 2 birds?

I am trying to locate the Baytril for Chickens on line in the UK but cant find a supplier. Do you have one by any chance?
    Thanks again Pete.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Well, the not eating the eggs is FDA regulation, there is a potential for the medication to be in the eggs/meat. A lot of people use the antibiotics and wait 30 days to consume eggs/meat - you would want to research to find what you are comfortable with.

No, it's not contagious. Now...it is not unusual for more than one hen to become symptomatic of Salpingitis depending on the cause. If the flock ever had respiratory illness then chances are pretty good that more than one hen could end up with the same condition.

Since you are in the UK (adding that to your profile is helpful) you will either have to go to a vet or see if you can order through some place like Ebay that is willing to ship to you. You may have an easier time ordering fish antibiotics like Fish Mox (amoxicillin) than getting Baytril. Pigeon supply stores may also have the Baytril.

5. PeteB1978

PeteB1978 Hatching

May 27, 2019
    Poulton UK
    Brilliant - Thanks Wyorp for your help! I think I will take her to the vets and get the right antibiotics there.
    I will add my location now.
    Pete

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: