Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my baby?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandm33, Aug 8, 2014.

1. dandm33

dandm33 New Egg

Dec 5, 2013
    Roanoke, Va
    I tried to upload a video from my phone but that didn't work. I am trying to figure out what is going on with my little chick. She can't stand up, if she tries she flaps her wings and ends up going backwards and then falls over on her side. She is alert but has had a little bit of diarrhea, up until this morning she was fine, running around with all the other birds and her 5 siblings. I am totally lost!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How old is she? Is she with other chicks? Did she just start doing this?

3. dandm33

dandm33 New Egg

Dec 5, 2013
    Roanoke, Va
    this just started this morning, she is 8 weeks old and until this morning she was with the other chickens, all 6 peeps were out running around the pen yesterday and all came in the coop and went into their little hidey hole together last night, went out this morning to feed and change the water dishes and there she was unable to stand up, I don't get it. she keeps trying and when I hold her I can feel her try to push against me like she wants to get up she still grips my finger like its a perch but if I put her down she can't actually get up, she just ends up scooting around in reverse and wobbling like she is drunk, as soon as she is up against something to hold her up she is looking around and checking out the scene like nothing is wrong.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a couple of things, but coccidiosis always come to mind with any weakness, lethargy, or diarrhea. Treatment for that is Corid (amprollium) for 5 days. She also could be exhibiting some symptoms of wry neck or encephalomalacia from a vitamin E and selenium deficiency. Treatment is vitamins (B1 or thiamine, vitamin E, and selenium) which can be found in eggs, canned tuna, or ground Brazil nuts or sunflower seeds. Did your chick receive a Mareks vaccine? Here are a couple of links to read:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by