Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my Muscovy duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lakota13, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Lakota13

Lakota13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Ohio
    I have a 1 1/2 year old female Muscovy duck who looks horrible, She only comes out of her box to eat and then goes right back in. Up until 2 months agol she looked great and would go into the water and play and act like a "normal" duck. I have 5 other ducks and they all look great so I know it's not their diet (I feed them layer crumbles and a small amount of cracked corn). Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to do for her? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks, I have posted some pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I do not have any Muscovies, so no expert here, but is she molting?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How many drakes do you have? Are they harassing or gang breeding her?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That is my first thought. She needs to be protected from that, if that is going on.

5. Lakota13

Apr 28, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Ohio
    My thoughts are that she is molting too, but it has been so long that this behavior has been going on and she isn't looking any better. I only have one drake and they
    use to be best buddies (he bred her but it wasn't a constant thing), all the other ducks leave her I'm really worried about her because I live in . Central Ohio and it is
    starting to get really cold, not sure looking like this that she will be able to make it through the winter.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Molting and broody are two things that crossed my mind. I get your reasoning on your worry, it's valid sadly, i don't have any magic answers. The good part is she is eating and has NOT wandered off.

Maybe add some electrolytes to her water and try offering some treats(greens, peas, romaine) From the pic her eyes appear clear, she isn't listless if she is coming out daily. I am stumped, basically although not the most comforting i would take a wait n see approach, now if you have access to a vet you could try that, around here the best they'll do is put a duck down for you, beyond that? forget it.

I do hope she takes a turn for the better, and wish you the best of luck with her well being.

[​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it's not a drake problem, I would get her to a vet (don't let anyone tell you she needs to be put down at this point - we don't even know what's going on).

In any case, and especially if a vet is not an option, here is what I would do. I am not a vet, just a duck lover.

I would get her into a lukewarm tub, deep enough to float in. I would look her over closely. Are there mites? They can cause wet feather. Also, sometimes I think parasites thrive more on animals that are a little under the weather. I would give her a bath at least once a day for three days. Twice is better.

So, I would start her on poultry vitamins with probiotics and electrolytes three times a week. I would make sure she's getting a balanced diet, and even add just a little extra protein, maybe a few dried mealworms or bits of dry cat kibble to her food.

Check her bedding area for bugs and mold. Might want to haul out the bedding, scrub the area down with vinegar, or borax and hot water, let it dry, and then fresh bedding.

Talk to her. Encourage her. I think ducks respond to gentle, positive attention, even when they are standoffish.

8. Lakota13

Apr 28, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Ohio
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I went to TSC and got some dried mealworms, electrolytes and probiotics. I also bought something that is called "Kickin' Chickin", it is suppose to be good for feathers, has anyone ever used it?
    I just got finished cleaning her box and she is NOT a happy camper with that, hopefully she will go back inside before dark.

Thanks again!!

9. Lakota13

Apr 28, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Ohio
    Update:
    My female Muscovy is doing great thanks to all of the good advice. She wasn't happy when I "dumped" her out of her box to clean it, but she went back into it that evening. She has been swimming with the other ducks during the day and only goes into her box at night. Her feathers are coming back in (finally) and she is looking great. Thanks everyone!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's great news!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by