1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me what kind of Chicks these are? I bought them at a hay sale a few days ago! Tag on

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by funnyfarmbirds, Jun 7, 2016.

1. funnyfarmbirds

funnyfarmbirds New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    They could be Black Australorps, unless the "bandis" meant Bantams. Then it maybe a Japanese bantam.

3. funnyfarmbirds

funnyfarmbirds New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    I'm not sure, I'm just going with what the note with them said. My kids wanted them and we had talked about getting chickens so I said what the heck. Would they be black Japanese bantams? I'm trying to find pictures of what they will look like when they are older for my kids.

4. funnyfarmbirds

funnyfarmbirds New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Here is another picture.[​IMG]

5. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I've heard a lot of people call Bantams "Banties", perhaps these people got confused and wrote Bandies? But, it is hard to say. There are a lot of black breeds out there. Australorps tend to be the most common of the solid black largefowl sold. But, if it is a bantam it is most likely an Old English (red earlobes), Dutch (white earlobes), or Japanese (short legs and a funny tail set). You will probably have to wait until they are fully feathered, to discover what breed you actually have.

6. funnyfarmbirds

funnyfarmbirds New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Thank you

7. funnyfarmbirds

funnyfarmbirds New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by