1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone tell me what kind of rooster this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dell1221, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Dell1221

Dell1221 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

This rooster hangs out at my husband's automotive repair shop. He answers to "Kitty"..He hangs out in the woods behind his lot and just walks around in the shop or where ever he wants to. Just curious as to what breed he is...my husband loves him.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a sumatra does he have more than one spur per each leg?

3. Dell1221

Dell1221 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Ramirez, here's a better picture of 'Kitty' & it looks like he has two spurs. Someone suggested that he might be a 'black sexes' something or other. ?!?!

4. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    wouldnt be a black sex link rooster as those look like barred rocks. He looks like a hatchery black sumatra I had one heres his picture
    [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    He's a Sumatra. Black SLs are barred birds with washes of red on them.

6. Dell1221

Dell1221 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks, Ramirez! You know, I looked up some pictures of black sex link roosters after I posted the new picture and I didn't think our rooster looked anything like them. But, he definitely looks like the Black Sumatra that you had.[​IMG] ..If there's any suggestions or advice you can offer about Black Sumatra, we would love to hear what you have to say! Thanks again!!

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    try looking at the sumatra thread, lots of information there and pictures of better quality ones too, so you can see why he's a hatchery quality one like my old one was (which there is nothing wrong with![​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by