Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with this chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kahfia, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Kahfia

Kahfia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    [​IMG]
    The chick on the right, in the back, is not growing. I've had them all a week and they were the same size when I got them. They were four days old. The one in question doesn't seem to eat, but rushes over when the others eat and pecks at the food. She must be eating something, she does poop but it's small. She loves for me to cuddle her on the heat pad. Any suggestions? I don't want to lose her. Thanks.

2. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    I don't have a clue, but did you hatch them yourself or did you buy them?

3. Jchicken311

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    oh never mind but how old were they when you got them because it might just be younger

4. Jchicken311

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    Oh, never mind again but it might just be weaker than all the other ones. Sorry I wasn't paying to much attention when I was reading[​IMG]

5. Kahfia

Apr 1, 2013
    I got them from someone that ordered them from a hatchery. He told me they were all four days old. I see no symptoms of anything. On medicated chick starter. She is feathering out on her wings. He said it was an Araucana. Not sure if they grow slow. Could it be a bantam?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be a bantam...probably not an Araucana if it came from a hatchery, but and Easter Egger.

Could be younger, the one other bird has tail feathers and may be older thus bigger.

As long as it active and eating, drinking and pooping it should catch up.
    Might want to give it some chick saver vitamins in their water for a boost...and/or some mashed hard boiled egg yolk.

7. Kahfia

Apr 1, 2013
    I had thought it might be an EE. That's ok. I see her eat and drink and she runs around. I did put Nutri Drench in the water last night. I tried eggs, but they didn't want them yet. I will try again. Thanks!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds like you have a handle on it...I'm really curious if those chicks are different ages...feather emergence might tell the tale.

9. Kahfia

Apr 1, 2013
    They could be. He told me it was his second batch. [​IMG]
    Here they are when I brought them home. They appeared to be the same size. We'll see!

10. Kahfia

Apr 1, 2013
    I have an unproven broody banty I'm thinking of giving these chicks to. I might try this weekend so I can watch her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by