1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MY CHICKEN WAS KILLED BY?? (***GRAPHIC***)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pax12, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Cat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dog

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Hawk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Raccoon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    Blacky was attacked by something and killed. I will be posting the video but I set the age limit to be 18 to watch on YouTube. I'll be posting pictures on here too. Can anyone tell be what happened? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am sorry this happened. Looks a lot like the damage to my chickens from neighbor's dogs. :(

1 person likes this.
  3. pax12

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    Thanks and that's kinds what I'm thinking, it wouldn't of been a raccoon because it happened during the day and plus it would of went after the others. if it was a hawk there would of been feathers and a lot more damage. Our neighbor a few houses down in the back has a beagle...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Set a cage trap with canned cat food or tuna. Bobcats and fox take off with prey. Coyotes eat as fast as they can. Coons maim and often eat the neck and leave the head. Much can change during an attack if the predator is startled and retreats. If you set a cage trap you just might catch it since many predators run a circuit on territory, and will return if they know a food source exists. I have seen coyotes attack in the middle of the day just like other animals. If they are hungry, they won't wait until dusk.

1 person likes this.
  5. pax12

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    I found a ton of feather in the spot of the attack and I had a better chance to look at the damage and a lot of the insides were eaten. This leads me to believe this was a hawk. Thanks everyone for the help

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Very possible. That is the reason I choose breeds that are quick, alert, and blend in well with the surroundings. I'm fortunate to have trees and brush where birds can retreat to. I don't even let birds range unless I'm home. That is why I built a large yard for those days when I may not have time to range them. I hope you can remedy the problem and lose no more of your chickens.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by