Can anyone tell me what sex these chicks are?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ccrecelius, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    I think the chicks are about 6 weeks or so. Today is the first day I let them walk on the grass. You guys make taking pictures of chickens look easy. They won't stand still. I think (I am not sure) that I have 4 buff orps, 4 polish, and 2 barred rocks. You can correct me if I am wrong. But I am wanting to know what sex they are and how to tell the difference.

[​IMG]

Three of the ones that I think are buff orps have fuzzy stuff on their legs, one does not. I think that they are the same breed, but I am just a beginner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I need to try and take a picture at another angle, please let me know![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any ideas?

2. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Oh, yeah, I have one Peking Duckling. Anyone have any ideas about the sex of this little guy?

[​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    First one looks like a hen to me...and I'm not good at sexing polish so I can't help you on that one. Have some in the incubator now so maybe i will learn a thing or two! I have a barred rock the same age so I will take a look at her and see if your comb is bigger or now. Looks like it may be tho. Your duck is very pretty!

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think ducks can be sexed by their quack.. but it might be harder if you don't have another to compare to [​IMG]

Hmmm.. maybe the ones with fuzz on their legs have Cochin in them. I dunno.

I don;t know a lot about the breeds you have, but I think maybe that pic with the two Polish in it.. the one in front may be a pullet and the one behind it a cockerel. I think the girls have poofier heads while the boys get that slicked back look. The Buff one looks pulletish to me, but I don;t know the breed...so.. I dunno. Someone will though [​IMG]

5. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    They very well may be cochins. There were supposed to be 2 of each of 5 kinds of chicken!!!!! The four of them just looked the same to me, with the exception of three of them having fuzzy stuff on their legs.

6. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    The barred rock in the 3rd pic looks like a roo to me.

7. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Quote:The only difference I can see in the two barred rocks is that one of them seems to have a dark stripe down the front of its legs. Does that mean anything?

8. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Quote:If you are right and there is a possibility that any of them are girls, I just looked them up. I am not really interested in small yellowish-brown eggs. Oh well, it says that they are good foster mothers. Hope this is true!

9. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    well im no expert but here are my best guesses

#1-pullet

#2-pullet

#3-roo

and to me both polishes look like pullets [​IMG]

the duck looks like a female to me but im just going with my instinct aka i have no clue!

oh and by the way exept in rare cercumstances all chickens with feathers on their legs are cochins !

jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by