Can anyone tell me what this could be. She acts fine and eats well. She's had this for a couple of m

donnabaldridge

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013

Looks like there may be some feather plucking going on. Also the area below the vent looks a bit distended or swollen.

Apply some Blu-Kote to the red areas (scabs). Provide her with some extra protein either through commercial all flock/flock raiser formulas or by giving egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. Extra protein helps during molt.

It can sometimes take a while to begin laying after molting. But she could also be experiencing some internal laying/reproductive issues with the swollen abdomen (Peritonitis, Ascites, tumor or cancer). If she is eating and drinking well, just keep an eye on her, provide oyster shell free choice as well.

Thank you for your input. I checked to see if it could be the vent problem but it isn't protruding out from there. its right below it. To me it looks like a big tumor. I think since she acts fine, I'll do as you say and give her extra protein. I just want to make sure she doesn't have something that could infect the rest of the hens

Does your hen have a wide stance when she walks? Does she waddle from side to side as she walks, sort of like a penguin?

If the swollen rear extends forward into the abdominal area, she may have a liver condition called acites, pronounced, ah-see-tees. In extreme cases, the abdomen will practically drag on the ground.

If the swollen area is limited to just under the vent, it's probably simply excess fat. It's not at all uncommon in older hens. The fact that she has feather loss from molting makes it appear worse than it is.

Back
Top Bottom