1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can anyone tell me what this looks like?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lmarie26, Nov 15, 2016.

1. lmarie26

lmarie26 Just Hatched

Nov 14, 2016
    chuluota
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I need advice, two of my hens have black dots on there combs and feet. From what I keep reading it sounds like fowl pox. They act normal and like everything is fine. The spots scabs whatever they are dont look near as bad as some pics I see and aren't on there eyes or mouths. Should I freak out? Or will it run its course? Could it be mites or lice? would that cause spots on their combs? They are still laying eggs and like I said act normal. I have been keeping the water bowl clean, the coop clean more often and also putting screen on the coop to protect them more from mosquitoes. What do I do? And if it is fowl pox how to repel mosquitoes without harming my chickens.

Thanks in advance!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yep, looks like dry fowl pox. There isn't anything you can do about it - just let it run its course. Usually takes 3-6 weeks depending on the size of the flock.

3. lmarie26

lmarie26 Just Hatched

Nov 14, 2016
    chuluota
    Ok thank you!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Huh.....didn't know dry pox could present on feet/legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by