Can anyone tell me what this might be???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mdmdyer4u, Aug 7, 2014.

1. mdmdyer4u

mdmdyer4u Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does it look like some sort of insect larvae or lice eggs? Does she have any bugs on her skin if you part the feathers?

3. mdmdyer4u

Mar 3, 2014
    I just .iNspected her very well I see no bugs of any kind. When I get close to that area to move the feathers it must be very tender because she Chirps

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is it a tumor or an abscess? Do you see anything that looks like a peck mark? Is it soft and puffy, or firm?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like it could be hard chicken pus.

-Kathy

6. mdmdyer4u

Mar 3, 2014
    There is a peck spot on her back, not near this. Hard chicken pus??? what does that mean? what do I do?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Before I say what I would do, cause it's pretty invasive, can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

8. mdmdyer4u

Mar 3, 2014
    I googled hard chicken puss, I feel very confident you are correct :( I have no idea what to do, aside from opening it up and buying expensive antis and reading further that didn't help those who tried it :'( i'm searching for a vet locally that will see a chicken, not finding much in the area....

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could try making a small incision and tweezer some out. It's a huge area, and I'm not positive, but if it is pus, I think you'll have to make a big cut and get that out, then clean it real well with betadine and figure out what the best antibiotic for it is. I just don't know enough about bacteria to make a recommendation. Maybe Baytril for gram negatives and amoxicillin for gram positives. Not sure how I would treat it other than removing the pus.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, Baytril is cheap... ~$25 and you can buy it without a prescription online. Will send link later.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by