Can anyone tell me what's going on here

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KGBYB, Mar 27, 2015.

1. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Not sure if this is the rooster's doing or something internal. Do we need to put her down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    No, the rooster did not do that. It looks like a vent prolapse. how long has it been that way? If it just happened today or so, you can save her. If it has been like that for days it might be too late.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Its possible that it is vent pecking, or it could be a prolapsed vent that was pecked by the others. Chickens will be cannibalistic if they see a red wound or tissue. I would separate her, place her in darkness for 16 out of every 24 hours to stop laying. Lubricate the vent and try to push the prolapse back inside. Honey or Preparaton H ointment may help to reduce swelling if applied inside and outside the vent. Here is a link to read about prolapse:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/feather-loss/index.aspx
    https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1095/2902-1095_pdf.pdf

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Definitely prolapse, maybe in conjunction with vent gleet. I would cull, prolapse's usually reoccur.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It is incredible how many people think that penetration happens during chicken mating. That damage is more likely caused by your other hens who turned on the hen pictured after she experienced a minor prolapse while laying, thus exposing a small amount of bloody or red tissue that this hen's coop mates began picking or pecking at. Eggessive is imho correct.

This hen is yours and the decision to put her down is yours alone to make. She will (imho) not survive if left with the flock to be slowly cannibalized.

6. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013

Cull the vent as in cut it off?

7. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013

I wasn't implying that I thought some kind of penetration had occurred, I merely wondered if the roosters had gotten too aggressive, as they can be irritable sometimes

8. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    It's been like that for two days. Eggsessive, this is our poor hen with the limp. I almost think she's been through enough, though I'd love to see her pull through again, she's my fighter!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you put her in a cage in your house where she can be warm and away from flies and other birds? Google treating prolapse in birds. I have done a few and it always requires bringing them inside, cleaning them, reducing feed and light to cease egg production and keeping them quiet. Most of mine have recovered, but a couple did not and had to be euthanized.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by