Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Sustained

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Oregon
this is a 2 day old rir chick. All she does is sleep and has a hard time standing up for very long without falling asleep. She also gets stuck on her back a lot and can't right herself so she hollers until I help her. This is her bottom. She was born with a much bigger nasty looking blob attached to her.

Anyone? I also noticed there's red veins showing up in her feet. I know this can be a sign of infection in other animals but I'm not sure on chickens. I don't want her to suffer but I'm not sure if it's something that will just take a few days to clear up or if it's a major problem and putting her down would be kinder.

Maybe the blob is an umbilical cord? I had a chick who was kinda like that. She was very tired and not very strong on her legs. But she grew to be an all right chicken. Yet she was still a runt. I would just monitor her very closely. Over the next 2 days and see if she gets worse
1f615.png

Maybe the blob is an umbilical cord? I had a chick who was kinda like that. She was very tired and not very strong on her legs. But she grew to be an all right chicken. Yet she was still a runt. I would just monitor her very closely. Over the next 2 days and see if she gets worse
1f615.png

I think it's the navel (where the umbilical cord was attached). Thank you for your response! It gave me a little more hope. She's not a runt so hopefully that will help her out somehow.

Back
Top Bottom