1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can anyone tell me when my 90 day old serama will lay eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by larps1234, Mar 6, 2013.

1. larps1234

larps1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    what do you guys think? she's 90 day old, about 13 weeks. she is small, last weight was 12.35 ounces. her comb and wattles are red, but not big like a rooster. so i assume it'd normal for a 90 day old serama pullet to have red comb and wattles. she dosnt have pointy feathers (Sattle) at her tail. i will try to post a picture asap. anyways i just want to know because i want to know when to start her on egg laying feed. i have her on chick starter feed, which seems to work well. thank you!
    Jonathan.

2. thehackleguy

thehackleguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    There are a lot of variables but she "should" start laying between 16 and 22 weeks. I have had hens that never laid and egg while I had them, it is very rare but it can happen.

3. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. charliesweb3k

charliesweb3k Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Port Orchard Washington
    awwwwwwwwww is this one of my babies you hatched? well they start laying here at my house at age 5 month old and depending on the size serama you have like smaller one's they don't lay that soon. sometimes they don't lay at all if they are what we call Micros. I have class A and B seramas but the A start about 5-6 months old and the B's start at 5 months. Also remember that if you change their nest box around they sometimes just stop laying , almost like re seating their eggs laying so make sure you do this when they are out eatting bugs and grass and try to keep the nest boxes in the same place. also heat and lighting helps them lay eggs. remember that all laying birds need 100% of the time CALCIUM they make eggs out of them so they need them to make you eggs. if you don't give them this they will pull it from their bones and age faster and die sooner.

chickens don't have teeth so make sure they have grit to grind up the food or they don't want to lay eggs. a happy chicken is an egg laying chicken :)

5. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    Yes! this is my little baby that i hatched! that was t6aken a month ago! this is what she looks like today! like i said before her comb grew overnight!
    she looks just like Tina! (R.I.P Tina [​IMG]...) by looking at her do yopu think shes close to laying eggs? she weighs 13.49 ounces and is 3 months and 24 days. old! 115 days old today!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is what she looked like a week ago! you can see the difference in comb size!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  6. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    i just noticed that her eyes changed colors from first pic i posted and the lat one i posted? they went from green to red orange?

7. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    First egg yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    She's a nice looking bird! Happy for you that she layed an egg! However I am wondering for anyone that can answer, I have 2 serama-polish cross hens that are 7 months old and neither have laid a single egg. They are C class serama sized so I assumed they would lay almost as soon as a serama. But I am wondering when they will start laying, I have had them on layer feed since they were about 5 months old. I am thinking maybe the temperature could be a factor? It has been about 40-50 at night here and 50-70 in the day. But other seramas I've had in the past laid eggs outside in the spring through fall so I'm not sure. They live in a coop built for 6 full size chickens( just to give you a on idea of how big it is), it has a covered run that is always dry,I feed them a little bit of sea kelp along with their layer feed and they get to free range for about an hour a day.
    Thanks to anybody that can help!

9. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop

Thanks! Answered you in the all American serama thread!

10. Drew Dizzle

Drew Dizzle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2012
    Costa Mesa
    My serama hen lays eggs but she hasn't been laying for a week. Someone plz tell y this is happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by