can anyone tell sex on rhode island red chicks? pics added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kar8mr, Jan 25, 2009.

1. kar8mr

kar8mr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    upstate,sc
    [​IMG]I bought me some chicks straight run rhode island red one month to two months old, different ages. I would love to know any tricks people know to tell the roos from the pullets.thanks in advance [​IMG] my camera had the wrong date on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    well i usually look at the wings of all my birds and it works great for me personally if they are a few days old but if you could put pictures on here we could see?

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feathers, wattles, comb, and legs...at least that's how I do it. [​IMG] If you posted pics that would help too. [​IMG]

4. kar8mr

Jul 26, 2008
    upstate,sc
    i posted three pictures of differnet ones i have a total of 16 but if i could know what theses are then maybe i can firgure out the rest of them.thanks for any help [​IMG]

5. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    The pics you posted don't let us see them very well. Try to get head to tail, face from front also, and maybe someone with more experience will see you thread. Roster Red and Speckledhen are awesome. Hope this helps you

6. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    The first pic looks like a hen because the wattle is so close to the head. The second pic~one perched on red feeder looks like a hen also. Remeber these are just guess's cause I want to help you. How old are they again?

7. kar8mr

Jul 26, 2008
    upstate,sc
    the frist picture is about two months and the other two pictures are 6 weeks.and will get more pictures when they go outside, maybe they will be more of help posing lol.thanks for the guess [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The first photo is a pullet, the third photo is a cockerel. I'll try to figure out from left to right which are cockerels and pullets in the brooder picture.

K....the bird in the very back looking right at you which his face directed at the camera is a cockerel.

The bird underneath the branch in the third photo is also a cockerel, as well as the one that's "hiding" back at the very back in the right hand corner but still looking at you.

Individual photos would be awesome!

9. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What I look for is comparative size and redness of the comb. In birds as young as yours seem to be, you would mostly be looking at size. Cockerals will have combs that develop much faster and grow larger faster than hens. The pullets will have very small almost miniscule points to their combs for quite a long time.

10. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I'd say the first one is a hen and the second a rooster.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by