Can anyone tell what breed this is just from a description?

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
No pictures available sorry. So it's down to a description. ( This is not a game I genuinely need help. )

2666.png
Pretty sure they are large fowl.
2666.png
The rooster is not that big though, sort of 'stumpy'. Short legs ( not Japanese bantam short though ) but a long thick neck, almost like a Russian Orloff.
2666.png
Pretty sure they are clean legged.
2666.png
The two hens and rooster have beards and cheeks. No crest and not huge muffs like Araucana's.
2666.png
The hens do not lay blue eggs. A cream - light brown egg.
2666.png
They where ex-show birds so must be pure bred.
2666.png
The hens are sought of Wheaten Marans colour, a light brown with darker brown for the neck feathers.
2666.png
The rooster was a more mahogany red - brown colour, again much like a Russian Orloff colour.
2666.png
He was not a solid colour, has a few speckles of cream on him and different shades of brown. I think his beard was manly cream.
2666.png
The offspring had yellow - light brown down feathers and their new feathers where the same colour as their parents, mostly their mothers.
2666.png
The rooster is friendly but very protective of his flock, he fought a hawk once.

Ok, I really think that is all I can think of. I hope this isn't to vague and that some one can help
smile.png

The only large fowl breeds I'm aware of that are bearded are Faverolle, Ameraucana (american--can't recall if Aussie's are bearded) and Orloffs. Am I missing anyone?

The only large fowl breeds I'm aware of that are bearded are Faverolle, Ameraucana (american--can't recall if Aussie's are bearded) and Orloffs. Am I missing anyone?
Not that I can think of. In each case there is something that doesn't add up. I know the OP said the are ex-show chickens. But i mean people try and show easter eggers as ameraucanas, so that doesn't make it fool proof that they are purebreds

Not that I can think of. In each case there is something that doesn't add up. I know the OP said the are ex-show chickens. But i mean people try and show easter eggers as ameraucanas, so that doesn't make it fool proof that they are purebreds
That thought had crossed my mind, also. Define "show".....could have been the equivalant of 4-H showmanship, something like that where anything goes.

Back
Top Bottom