Can anyone tell what breed this is just from a description?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckcluckluke, Mar 1, 2014.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

No pictures available sorry. So it's down to a description. ( This is not a game I genuinely need help. )

[​IMG] Pretty sure they are large fowl.
    [​IMG] The rooster is not that big though, sort of 'stumpy'. Short legs ( not Japanese bantam short though ) but a long thick neck, almost like a Russian Orloff.
    [​IMG] Pretty sure they are clean legged.
    [​IMG] The two hens and rooster have beards and cheeks. No crest and not huge muffs like Araucana's.
    [​IMG] The hens do not lay blue eggs. A cream - light brown egg.
    [​IMG] They where ex-show birds so must be pure bred.
    [​IMG] The hens are sought of Wheaten Marans colour, a light brown with darker brown for the neck feathers.
    [​IMG] The rooster was a more mahogany red - brown colour, again much like a Russian Orloff colour.
    [​IMG] He was not a solid colour, has a few speckles of cream on him and different shades of brown. I think his beard was manly cream.
    [​IMG] The offspring had yellow - light brown down feathers and their new feathers where the same colour as their parents, mostly their mothers.
    [​IMG] The rooster is friendly but very protective of his flock, he fought a hawk once.

Ok, I really think that is all I can think of. I hope this isn't to vague and that some one can help[​IMG].

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking salmon Faverolle fits most of that, not the clean legged part though.

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I have thought of fav's but I just don't think they are.
    Can you get clean legged favs?

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Faverolles always have feathered legs. They also have 5 toes.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

is there any way you can get a picture?

6. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The only large fowl breeds I'm aware of that are bearded are Faverolle, Ameraucana (american--can't recall if Aussie's are bearded) and Orloffs. Am I missing anyone?

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Not that I can think of. In each case there is something that doesn't add up. I know the OP said the are ex-show chickens. But i mean people try and show easter eggers as ameraucanas, so that doesn't make it fool proof that they are purebreds

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That thought had crossed my mind, also. Define "show".....could have been the equivalant of 4-H showmanship, something like that where anything goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by