Can anyone tell what color this bantam cochin is going to be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LavendarFeather, Jun 4, 2012.

1. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Songster

May 24, 2012
    Little guy from the feedstore... the kid working that day wasn't very experienced. He said this was a black bantam cochin, but also misidentified a number of chicks he showed me, so I thought I'd seek other opinions. Anyone....?

[​IMG]

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Songster

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    blue?

I have the same question about mine...it hatched today (a bantam cochin) and the underside is YELLOW and top side is BLACK. So cute!

3. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Songster

May 24, 2012
    Oh, congratulations on the new peeps! I'm jealous :) But no room for more right now...

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Crowing

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Blue

5. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Songster

May 24, 2012
    Thank you both! Well Marcy, looks like we both have our answer, and you were right. I'm happy. I love blue. Although I love black too. I just love chickens :)

6. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Songster

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    [​IMG]This is what I got today [​IMG]
    Am so excited to see what coloring she turns up with! Papa is a white frizzle, Mamas are blue splash (bantam cochins)

[​IMG]

7. upmycreek

upmycreek In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    I know feathers can really vary, but I just hatched a bunch of cochins and I had 2 that kinda looked like yours here are there then and now (only a 4 week progression)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

became...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Songster

May 24, 2012
    Marcy, that second picture is making me want to buy an incubator. It's like a little kiwi!!!! Too cute to stand.
    UpMyCreek, thank you for showing us your little album. Darling babies, and then they got all fancy! They look like little girls playing dress-up :)

9. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Songster

May 24, 2012
    Do either of you know if there are any tricks to telling the boys from the girls in this breed, and at what age? It seems that cochins' combs come in earlier than Ameraucanas (my first group of chicks).

10. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a blue and by 6 weeks you should now gender and possibly even sooner than that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: