Can anyone tell what gender these two chicks are?

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
They are just under 4 weeks of age, which I know is normally too young. However, they look rather different from each other, and I was curious if this means anything. There mum is a Cuckoo Orpington, and dad is a Cuckoo Orpington x Light Sussex. I think the first one is probably a cockerel, going by his legs and comb.
PA062099.JPG

PA062112.JPG

The first is definitely a cockerel.
The second one I'm thinking pullet.
I agree first is definitely a cockerel, totally on the fence with the second.

Interesting about wing feather pattern, wonder if it has to do with sex or something else. They also look like they have a little bit different combs.

I say 2 more weeks for the 2nd one.

I agree first is definitely a cockerel, totally on the fence with the second.

Interesting about wing feather pattern, wonder if it has to do with sex or something else. They also look like they have a little bit different combs.

I say 2 more weeks for the 2nd one.
I'll get updated pics in 2 weeks.
I don't think the wing pattern means anything. But if the white in the barring on the second chick is lighter it could mean cockerel.
I guess I will just have to what and see, going by their behaver the second one could be a pullet, but I know how unreliable that is. I would love a pullet chick from this hen.....
@Overo Mare could you see what you think? If you've got the time, that is.

Actually, because you have orpingtons mixes there, I think both could be pullets. I'd wait two more weeks then look again. Overo Mare might could tell right now, but I can't.

I had two buff orpingtons, and they were the hardest to tell for the longest time whether they were male or female. They got big combs and wattles fast, and then when older their combs started looking small compared to their body size again, so I really flip flopped on boy/girl/boy/girl for those. Both ended up girls, but it took almost until they were laying to be sure. Feathers were more helpful on them to me - when they kept the hen feathering, that made me more confident they were female.

Actually, because you have orpingtons mixes there, I think both could be pullets. I'd wait two more weeks then look again. Overo Mare might could tell right now, but I can't.

I had two buff orpingtons, and they were the hardest to tell for the longest time whether they were male or female. They got big combs and wattles fast, and then when older their combs started looking small compared to their body size again, so I really flip flopped on boy/girl/boy/girl for those. Both ended up girls, but it took almost until they were laying to be sure. Feathers were more helpful on them to me - when they kept the hen feathering, that made me more confident they were female.
I'm fairly certain one is a boy, as he looks just like his father did.... but you give me hope that the other is indeed a girl!

Back
Top Bottom