Can anyone tell whether this is a male or female?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by louben83, Sep 27, 2016.

1. louben83

louben83 New Egg

Sep 27, 2016
    [​IMG] Hi I am new to this site and pheasant keeping in general - this little guy is a rescue one that I found injured. The picture is not very good as 'he/she' is still a little nervous - and was taken in a temporary home. Now in a larger enclosure. All I know is that its a pheasant, around 3 months old and has large spurs and grey legs and brown eyes. Any help would be fab x[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Can't really tell from pics.Look at the iris(around the eyes) if it's brown it's a hen,if it's cream or yellow it's a male.You sure it has spurs?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    It appears to be a hen. I don't see any wattle/tear drop and has brown eyes. At 3 months, if it was male, you'd be able to see the wattle and the iris would be turning color. With grey/blue legs, it appears to be an Amherst/Golden cross. I make that assumption based on beak color, leg color and the feather coloration under it's neck and breast.

4. louben83

louben83 New Egg

Sep 27, 2016
    [​IMG] here is a better picture of the bird, looking at dates and things I'm sure he is not yet 3 months and looking back on older photos he has very slightly lighter eyes than originally (that could be wishful thinking though) when you say wattle what does that refer to? Thanks

5. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Still not a very clear photo....but I stick with my original diagnosis, it's a female. The wattle is a fleshy part of skin below the eye of a male pheasant, in this case a golden cross female, which, does not have a wattle.[​IMG]
    This is a pic of a Golden male, that is 6 weeks old. It's iris is changing from brown to a light blue. The wattle can be seen just beneath the eye. If you look very carefully at a few days old to a week old chick, you can see a wattle forming, although it is very tiny, it can be seen.
    Hard to say for sure what your bird is crossed with but it definitely has Lady Amherst in its lineage.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by