Can anyone verify gender? **updated with new pics**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CESOrtega, Sep 14, 2009.

1. CESOrtega

CESOrtega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    These are my new babies. They were sold to me as all pullets. They are a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpington and Splash Cochin. He said they were 5 weeks when we got them, but there is considerable differences between the BO and the SC. The BO is almost completely feathered whereas the Cochin is almost completely down. The Cochin is much smaller, too.

Did I get all pullets and the breeds they said?

My Buff Orpington
    [​IMG]

My Silver Laced Wayandotte
    [​IMG]

My Splash Cochin
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Well.... the top pic does look like a BO pullet, but I have no experience with the other 2 breeds.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I don't have any experience with cochins, but I order sexed BOs and SLWs from a hatchery and found that the females grew wing adn tail feathers a lot faster than the males, however their are a couple that had the long tail feathers that are getting redder combs but I have found this feather sexing method to be pretty accurate. It's easiest to tell around 2-3 weeks. So I would say the SLW is a pullet and I can't see the tail of the BO. but it looks like a pullet too.

4. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Cochins are slower to feather than many other breeds. In my experience, they will keep up with other breeds in size as they grow, but they won't get feathers nearly as fast.

5. CESOrtega

Aug 28, 2009
    Here are some updated pics of them that might make it clearer now. As far as I know they are about 8-9 weeks old. I think the cochin is younger, though, because she is so much smaller.

SLW Moonlight
    [​IMG]

BO Sunshine
    [​IMG]

Blue (?) Cochin Splash
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your opinion!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  6. CESOrtega

Aug 28, 2009
    BTW, when I went to pick up Sunshine (BO) in the coop today, she squatted. I think it is waaaay too early for that, so I am thinking maybe she was trying to take evasive action and it just looked like a squat, maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by