Can anything be done for egg peritonitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gritsar, Dec 25, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I believe my hen that has been acting a bit off for a few days may in fact have egg peritonitis, based on her stools.

Everything I'm reading online about the subject says there's really nothing to be done for her. Do you agree?

She was acting strangely for a couple of days, then the day before yesterday she laid a thin-shelled, rough feeling fart egg. Today she laid a normal egg.

Is it possible that she will get over it on her own? She's being a bit more active than she was the other day:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=432300

My brahmas are extremely hardy birds.

She is a 2 year, 8 month old LF buff brahma. Free ranged with layer feed available at all times. I don't add light or heat to their coop.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Hi Kat. I just read a response on a post by speckledhen that there' s no cure nor prevention for egg peritonitis. She said it occurs with hens mostly over 2 years old. I've never dealt with it...most of my hens are 3-5 years old, been lucky so far. (gulp)

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hi Kat. I just read a response on a post by speckledhen that there' s no cure nor prevention for egg peritonitis. She said it occurs with hens mostly over 2 years old. I've never dealt with it...most of my hens are 3-5 years old, been lucky so far. (gulp)

Thanks Dawg and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    She seems to be coming out of her funk and I know that the normal egg laid today was hers. i'm hoping this means that her problems are being resolved naturally. [​IMG] Wish I could find some ACV with mother around here, but I'd have to order it online.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have to order the ACV on line also I buy it at Vita Cost not to bad a price since they want close to $4.00 for 16oz. at the grocery store here.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]

OT - Whereabouts are you from in WNC? Asheville is my hometown [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am in Burnsville, we use to live in Asheville, but wanted a smaller more rural area so moved here going on 16 years. My son and daughter graduated from AC Reynolds.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Cool, but that statement of Burnsville made me laugh. Used to be, Asheville was pretty rural and Burnsville was really the sticks. I lived in Barnardsville for a time. My daughter graduated from Enka High.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Kat, if there is a starting infection, a strong round of penicillin may help kick out some infection. However, if there is solid infection/egg material blocking the oviducts or yolks dropping into the abdomen, that will probably only postpone the inevitable. It's a chronic condition. My Ivy came back from the brink of death twice, but in the end, it did kill her.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks for the input Cyn. I can't pick up any PCN until Monday, unless my neighbor will loan me some.

I'm encouraged because of the normal egg and because today she did join the others at snack time. She seems to be moving faster than she was too.

By the way, my Ivy has been a bad girl. I admire her independence - she doesn't depend on the roo for anything - but this having to find her in the dark cuz she wants to stay out just a few more minutes has got to stop! [​IMG]

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hopefully that's not the problem and all will be well. With my leghorn, she went downhill quick and then recovered completely, laid a few eggs and had her bright red floppy comb back.. Then the same thing happened, started 'pooping' egg yolk, standing around puffed up, darkened comb, green poopy butt - no eggs but still eating. I knew it wasn't cocci or worms as we went through that the last time and she was treated for both with no improvement. Her crop was fine and I used Eprinex to kill any possible mites (although no sign of those)

I culled her on the second round and sure enough, her oviduct was packed with that cooked egg stuff. Not as much as in some necropsies I have seen, but still all the way as far as I could reach (I didn't bother opening her up all the way, just enough to check the oviduct to see if I was correct.) So they do recover and get it again, it seems. IF that's the problem. My chicken was only about 7 months old and she was miserable - I figured it didn't bode well for her with two bouts in a bit over a month.

I saw your other thread - your chickie doesn't seem half as ill as my poor leghorn.. hopefully she'll recover and that's the end of it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by