Can Anything be Done?

RareFeathers

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Tamworth, NSW
I HATE MY STUPID, STUPID, STUPID NEIGHBOURS!!!
Alright, So A week Or 2 Ago, I Had A guy Come By Informing Me About A Complaint From My Neighbours About My roosters. I Had To Keep them Quieter,Or Get Rid of Them. I Was Fine With that. So I (Very reluctantly) otRid Of 2 Roosters To Cut Down on Noise, Despite That I Already Checked With Them And That They Were "100% Fine With The Crowing" When They moved In. So Today, The Official Came By Again And Told Me I Got Another Complaint from Them, And If they get 1 More Complaint, They Have To Go, And I'm Fined $25,000 ($5,000 A Rooster).The Thing that Annoys Me Is That I Already moved All The Roosters into my Sound-proofed garge, And There's Not Much Else I Can Do, So I Was Wondering if I Could Get Them To SHut Up, Or Come To Terms With My Dumb Neighbours.

Thanks,

James

If you could get them to shut up, chances are that more people would have them!
Could it be that they didn't know what they were getting into when they said it was "fine?" I thought having a rooster would be fine, too, when my husband convinced me to keep him. Unfortunatley, he ended up on the menu shortly thereafter because I couldn't deal with the constant crowing. I'm one of those people that SERIOUSLY values my sleep and I wasn't getting much of it.
I am at a loss as to why your neighbors chose to go the route they have instead of coming to you about it, as a good neighbor should.
Unfortunately, you may have to approach your neighbors & ask them if they have a problem with the roosters since you moved them into the garage. If they are, you have 2 choices the way I see it: get rid of them or move...

you could try taking them some eggs. Tell them that is to appoligise for the noise. That may help. My neighbor across the street was complaining about our other neighbors rooster. He crows alot. I was afraid she would get mad about mine, so I took her some eggs ( kinda bribe thing) she said she didnt even know I had chickens/ rooster and mine never bother her. Told my neighbor with the roo about this and since both of us have been giving her eggs she doesnt complain anymore. Just a thought

Get a sound meter and measure their decibel level as recorded at your property line. Take several different readings at diferent times of day or night and even slightly different locations. Depending on the decibels registered, you can hopefully show that the noise level is not unreasonable.

However, if the measurements do show things as being loud, you need to decide whether it is worth fighting or not. You do need to research your ordinances and code and make sure you are allowed poultry and roosters.

Check out the laws governing noise levels and poultry in your area. The decible meter is a good idea also. Make the code officer give you the code numbers of the laws and ordinances he is citing. What the code officer says the law is and what the law actually is, more often than not, not the same thing. A lot of these guys make up the law as they go along and as long as no one calls them on it they get away with it. Also, too many code officers are code officers because they like to throw their weight around.

Kinda scary that any neighbor can just call in and you get fined $5000++ on their word.

I wouldn't risk it myself. If I had $5k laying around I wouldn't have to deal with a cranky tranny in my car. If you've got the cash laying around and think keeping them is worth it... breeders or whatnot?? Then by all means. But if you don't, better to ditch them to end up fined.

Quote:
Chances are the code enforcer is blowing smoke. To levy that sort of fine it would have to go to court and all that. You need to check the laws yourself.

Back
Top Bottom