1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Can babies negotiate this box?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Aug 29, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Mama is in a brooder box in our garage so they're super safe, but the box is wooden bottomed and has been lined with wood shavings. The nest is in a big metal bowl (really big around but about four inches from the ground to lip.)

She has three chicks now [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and seven more eggs! Should we change the lining to something flatter? Should I do anything to allow them to get out of the nest or just leave mama alone to handle it? The chicks are popping around mama [​IMG] so they seem healthy and she seems pretty devoted. Any hints on how to make things easier for them?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I would take out the bowl and just let her nest on the floor.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    She still has unhatched eggs..... wouldn't moving her and them freak her out?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I dunna know what I am doing!! Can you tell?!?!?! [​IMG] Chick number 4 out!

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Leave her and the bowl. They are very good at climbing all over momma and will even take a ride on her back. They will be fine with the bowl where it is.
    Caroline

5. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Getting out may not be the problem...getting back in may be, though. Keep an eye on them. If they all can't climb back when the hen goes back to the nest at night, the ones left out could get chilled.

You could switch to a more accessible nest when the hen leads the chicks off the nest for the first time, or build a ramp, or just watch and see how things go.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would just keep a close eye on them until the rest hatch... so none fall out of the bowl and get chilled.( as another poster said..)
    then put mom on a flat surface with bedding..

7. Terri O

Terri O Songster

When my hens hatch babies they have taken them down from ABOVE the chicken coop! That is a 12' drop and the chicks dont have any problem with it. They are pretty agile and can get out of lots of stuff especially when mama is yelling at them to get a move on! Terri O

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Mama took the hatched ones out but then seemed stuck about leaving them or sitting on the remaining eggs so I moved the eggs down for her and she settled back down on them.

The babies are getting around fine! But, mama does not seem as devoted to her remaining eggs. I guess we'll see if she thinks 4 kids is enough! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by