1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can baby chicken and ducks stay together??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaylove, May 10, 2011.

1. kaylove

kaylove Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    hi i have baby chicken's right now and i am wondering if i can keep them with baby ducks?? thanks!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't because ducklings are SOOOO messy and make the brooder wet. A wet brooder chills chicks pretty quickly.
    Plus, I don't brood them at the same temp.

3. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    It's not a good practice.

Ducks can be especially messy with the water. The result can be disastrous for the chicks. Wet. Mucky. Toes covered with food and poop that can cake on.

Just a mess I would try to avoid.

4. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    you can keep them together about 5 days after they hatch. After that, forget it! [​IMG]

5. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I have been keeping my ducks and chicks together for their entire life, and they havent had a problem, I used hay as a bedding, but it doesnt get that wet or messy....

6. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I raised my baby ducks and chicks together. Both in the brooder and now outside too. However I have a lot of room. So things like them playing in the water was not a real issue. I just cleaned the bedding often. They are very messy and I can see how that would become a problem though. If I would have had a small brooder I would not have raised them together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by