Can baby chicks and keets be raised together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeeLee, Jun 7, 2008.

1. LeeLee

LeeLee New Egg

Jun 6, 2008
    Oregon
    Can baby chicks and keets be raised together in a brooder? What kind of feed? Wild game chick feed or chick start?
    Red light or white?

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

i'm pretty sure they could be raised together.. i have 7 ducklings and 2 chicks in the same brooder an there fine [​IMG] and yes use Starter feed for them the light really doean't matter it could be red or white.. i have a white light on mines

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    You can buy an all-purpose poultry feed that covers both chicks and keets. I personally am brooding them separately, with the chicks getting starter and the keets getting game bird food. You can house them in a coop together later, just make sure you have roosts. The guineas like to be up high. Doesn't matter the light color, but I choose red when I can. It is supposed to be less stressful for birds.

Edited to add: Be weary of the Guin-hen which is a cross between a guinea and a chicken (also called Guins). If they are housed together and you have males of either sex, hybridization can happen.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  4. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    i have raised guinea's and chick's together about 4 year's now, same food and all...they think they are the same...so don't tell em...lol

1 person likes this.
  5. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    ive done it

6. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    I brood them together too, no problem.

Christie [​IMG]

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I haven't put them together before. Do they fight it out at first? I think I'm throwing my new guinea flock in with the chooks over winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by