Can baby chicks sleep with heat light on at night.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by omartorres, Nov 7, 2011.

1. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    Hi, i have 6 bb bantam chicks i dont know exactly what there age is but i had them for 1 month my guess i think they are about 2-4 months old.But its geting cold and i want to put a heat lamp in their chicken coop but i dont now if it prevents them from sleeping.

2. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

keep 'em warm! use a red light.

3. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    At 4 months they should be all feathered out and shouldn't need heat. Just make sure they are acclimated to the cold. Don't just up and turn off the light one day. Slowly decrease the light/heat each day.

4. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Quote:x2 - it's what I do and they do fine.

5. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

actually, if they need it they will all sleep under it. if they don't, they won't. just observe.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The red bulbs won't keep them awake, and they come in wattages as low as 50watts. However, at this age, and depending on your temps., you might want to consider weaning them down/off temperature-wise, unless you plan on using a lamp/heat source all winter...

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

8 to 16 weeks old? Really?

I know bantam chicks are a little more sensitive, but if they are over 8 weeks old, they should be feathered out and no longer need heat. Wean them off the heat and allow nature to care for them by causing their feathers and down to develop to their fullest.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They won't have any trouble sleeping with the lights on.

Imp

9. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    thank ya:) .But im still a little woried because last years winter season i 2 of my bantams died.

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:You know your chickens best.
    I have lights and heat in my coop to use,when I think it will help. Has not been a problem yet; and I'm going on 8 winters.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by