Can Bantam Chickens be depressed ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by confusedbanti, Nov 14, 2010.

1. confusedbanti

confusedbanti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    somerset,CA
    So about 4 weeks ago we put together one of those fancy prefab Chicken coops, put up a area for them to run around (all set in concrete) and found 4 cute Bantam Girls. The Bantams we got where free range and were able to go where you wanna go and had no fancy Coop. We have them since 3 weeks and since then they do not want to go outside ! I usually go and check on them, clean the coop at 9 am, and they still sit inside the hen house. I basically have to kick them out and close the little door for them to move. Once outside, they eat, drink, scratch and do what chickens do. For about 10 min then......you guessed it, back into the house ! They started to loose their feathers about 2 weeks ago and now only a few a day. You would think since they are used to free range, they would WANT to be outside right ?? Today I locked then out of the hen house in the run area. Is this a good idea to get them adapted to their new environment? What do you guys think ? Are they homesick ? Scared ? Or is it me ? How much time do they need ? What should I do ?
    Thank you so much for your input !

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Hmm. When you say your run is "set in concrete" do you mean the bottom of the run is concrete? If so, it may be the surface is uncomfortable on their feet. Is your run roofed in any way? Sometimes chickens feel uncomfortable without cover of any kind...and by that I mean visual cover, like a bush or a tree to hide under. I know when my bantams are out in the yard they make their way around sticking to the trees/bushes and rarely spend much time out in the open. And when they are briefly out in the open, they always keep one eye upwards, on the alert for hawks.

Did you get your chickens from your area, or did they come from someplace else with a different climate? How old are they?

3. confusedbanti

Nov 5, 2010
    somerset,CA
    I meant I set the Fence in concrete to make it predator proof. There is a roof on top of the run area, but its clear heavy duty plastic. The chickens are from the area about 1 hr away and maybe 1 yr old. I was wondering if I should get a Banty Rooster ?? Would that help ?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Chickens hate change and therefore are slow to adjust to new environments. Be patient they will be fine.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds like they're just not use to their new surroundings yet. As was already mentioned, it takes chickens a few weeks to settle in and learn that this new place is "home" and is safe. It also sounds like maybe they went through a molt (the dropping of their old feathers so new ones can come in). Like sourland said, just be patient with them and give them time to adjust. Adding a rooster right now would just be more change, so IMO you should hold off on that until they feel more comfortable in their new surroundings...

6. confusedbanti

Nov 5, 2010
    somerset,CA
    Thank you so much for your input ! I feel much better now and hopefully the Girls soon too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by