Can bantam chickens eat laying pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickadee-23, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have 6 hens no roos, and i have 4 large breed chickens, anyways i was using crumbles, but my large breeds kept knocking the food bowls over so i switched them to pellets so far no spills, and they hve been on it for week, but im worried about the bantams since pellets are bigger and they are small birds their game hens, so should i get them a bag of crumbles? Thanks

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't kept game hens before, but my bantam Silkie who is around laying age eats fine with pellets (I use the Blue Seal brand), when she was younger she struggled with eating them though.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Your birds will have no problems eating pellets

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My adult bantams eat pellets fine, including a couple of oegs. If you are worried I would keep an eye on all of them weight wise to start with (weigh them if you can, or check crops) until you are sure everybody is eating the new food, chickens do not like change, sometimes they will not eat new food just because it is new, not because they can't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by