Can bantams and standard size chickens be cooped together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by georgialee, Apr 16, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    It may be a dumb question, and I think the answer is yes... but I want to be sure!!! Thank you!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yes, they can.

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks!

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Youre right, the answer is yes. We have bantams and standard chickens together never had any trouble. [​IMG]

5. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Oh wow. I have been wondering this too. I thought I was going to have to build a coop just for my bantams. My big coop is almost complete and was going to wait til it was finished to tell DH that we needed another. But so glad we can probably just build an addition. lol
    When do you introduce standards to the bantams? Mine are all in the brooders still. I have my standards in one brooder, my guineas in another and then the 12 bantams I got last week are in a 3rd one and the silkies I got this morning are in a 4th. Do I wait til everyone is full grown? thanks

6. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    If the birds are close in age i would throw them together now. This way there will not be as much fighting. I personally have a standard and a bantam coop .

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I thought you couldnt have a standard roo with a bantam hen cause he could hurt her trying to mate? [​IMG]

8. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    bump because I am curious of an answer to Sarah's question.

9. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I have bantams in the same house as standard size chickens. I keep a bantam roo and a standard roo. The standard roo actually got his butt kicked by the bantam roo. The standard jumps right over the bantam. The bantam just wore him out for a few minutes.

Now they respect each other I guess. The bantam hens hang out with the bantam roo and the standard hens hang out with the standard roo. They just keep to themselves and all is quiet.

Darin

10. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i have the oppostite situation, a bantam roo and a bunch of standard hens and a few bantam hens. he humps legs and they are still little lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by