can Bantams ever live with standards?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ShaggysGirl, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Well it is looking like MPC ( my pet chicken) messed up my order and sent me bantam polish hens instead of standards [​IMG] I wasn't planning on having any bantams and I'm not sure if we'll keep them or not at this time. If they can one day live with the big girls we might keep them but I really don't want to keep them if they have to be separate since it will mess up how I have the coops set up for spring breeding. They are cute as heck though.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have a silkie and a bantam cochin rooster that lives with my flock of large fowl and they get along just fine. I have had both standard and bantams for as long as I have kept chickens and have not had problems. You just need to introduce them carefully if you are adding them to a established flock.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    My freeranging barnyard flock is a mixed bag of a tiny roo up to a huge Brahma roo. We have several blk&wh Japs, a bantam cochin hen and several standard cochin hens, as well as few others mixed in. Never had a problem. I think if they grow up together, it won't matter much.

'

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I agree. I've had a mixed flock from the beginning. The only thing I will caution you about is a standard roo in with tiny banty hens. I found that my banty girls were getting beat up and squished. No worries with a banty roo in with standard girls. [​IMG]

5. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Our flock is mixed and they get along just fine. Yesterday our little Millie roo was standing toe to toe with a large Braham roo both had hackels up. The Big roo took one swipe at the little guy and he put his hackles down and was like hey I'm outa here! But he stood his ground like a big guy befor the fight started.

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i have a pair of bantam EEs in with my LF EEs my little bantam hen is a character and definatly takes control of the flock

7. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Our Bantams and Standards have lived great together for 3 yrs now.

Michelle

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have four bantys and a banty roo with 11 standards, no problem. No polish, though, I've heard there is picking on them due to the feathers on the top of their head

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Agreed. I had a mixed flock before my numbers got so large I had to seperate them. When I started out, I had 1 polish, and had to rehome her since the big girls were pecking sores on the back of her white fluffy head.

10. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    I have several bantam breeds in with my large breeds and they are fine. Really depends on how the rooster will act towards them. Also if breeding dont put a larger bantam in with a standard chicken. For example dont put cochins in with barred rocks as they will cross! Put OEBG in with RIR ect. This atleast has worked for me! [​IMG]

Brandon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by