Can Banties Get Mixed in with Standards?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ma, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Well we are wondering if our "Little Bo Peep" isn't a bantie. Can they get mixed in with standards at the hatcheries? (By mistake?)

We ordered 9 Standards and 1 of our BO chicks is 1/2 the size of all the others, but perfect in every other way. No signs of illness, even tho I posted a question in this regard about a week ago, thinking maybe she had some illness. But no signs at all. AT ALL.

Can some one tell us if maybe a bantie got mixed in? We really don't care, as she is an accepted member of the flock, and healthy in every other regard. (Maybe she gets picked up more than the others.....[​IMG])

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ma

2. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Anyone???

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have never gotten a bantam mixed in, but it wouldnt suprise me. I have heard the people do mix them, as long as she has a good "position" in the flock, I would think she would be fine.

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I read that if you cross a standared with a bantam you get a medium chicken that lays stanndared eggs

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I seen once on the show dirty jobs that as the chicks hatch. There are several breeds in one container. They then take them and seperate them by breed. Then they go the room where they are sexed. I would bet that some do get mixed in by accident. She should get along fine in your flock I have 3 bantams in my flock and they are at the top of the pecking order. They let my standards know who's boss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by