1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can banty chickens be added to standard chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sandy sea, Nov 2, 2010.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I have standard size chickens and I was thinking about adding a few bantys? I have one standard Rooster and ahout 13 hens. Would it ok to add banty sized chickens to my flock? Would the rooster try to make a move on the bantys? Problems?

2. racepondUSA

racepondUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    i have alot of hens and 4 roos and around 26 bantams the bantams that i dont have seperated for breeding run with my standard size chickns with no problem

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I.have 3 silkies and a bantam room and they all do wonderful together. I wonder if I should try to find out what he is. He is all grey colored, feathered feet and a beard. Anyone have any ideas?

4. racepondUSA

racepondUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    can you hear me now? :

I.have 3 silkies and a bantam room and they all do wonderful together. I wonder if I should try to find out what he is. He is all grey colored, feathered feet and a beard. Anyone have any ideas?

do u have a pic​

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I have a completely integrated flock of full sized birds and bantams and I have had no problem. The funny thing is watching the bantam roos trying to breed the full sized girls. My full sized roo does try and hook up with the banty hens but it is half hearted attempts and they go on their way with no harm done.

6. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I just added two bantam cochin girls to my flock of 8 standard pullets. They are not being picked on and actually all the other girls give them their space and are afraid of them! Well...besides the dominant girl of course [​IMG]

I was worried they wouldn't be able to hold their own...but they are pretty feisty! Just take it slow and it should be fine.

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:do u have a pic

Not sure but I can sure look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what I got sorry it took so long.

8. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:I had 11 full sized hens and 1 rooster. My intergration was not a success. I ended up getting rid of 4 hens and my roo (he liked my silkie way too much!). And the remaining hens plucked all the tail feather of my bantam brahma till she was a bleeding mess poor thing. And took the tail off my little silkie.

I had great hopes. I let them see each other for weeks with the contact and seperated them with a fence in the run for a few weeks. I guess my big group wasnt willing to share their space! (they have alot of it too!). I have read about so many people that do have them together so it must be able to be done!!!

Good luck, i hope it works for you!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by