Can Banty Roos mate with RIR?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ironmaiden, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    I have two banty roosters. I can't tell which one is #1. I have 7 RIR hens. The banty roos try to mate with the RIRs, but I didn't see much sucess. Is it possible?

2. Ironmaiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Can someone tell me if a Banty rooster can mate with a regular size hen? Should I get a different rooster or get rid of the bantys? I have a Rhode Island Red rooster, but he is younger and lower in the pecking order.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Had a sillkie roo that would use the ramp as a stepladder to get to the Buff Orpingtons and EE's.He did fertilize the eggs about 50-75% of the time.

I incubated some eggs, and although they started to develop they always failed.

I've heard of other people hatching bantam x standard crosses, though.

4. Yes, they can. At first, the banty roo in question may not have much success, but when there's a will, there's a way.

I've had the offspring of banty X LF and have had the teeniest roosters mate with the largest hens.

5. Stevo

Stevo Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Icheewowo I best keep an eye on my bantee roos then lol

Good post ty

6. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It depends on the size of the banty, his determination and perseverence, and whether the standard size hen is willing to cooperate. Yes, it's possible.

7. Ironmaiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    How FUNNY is THAT! Using the ramp as a stepladder!

Theyre is hope for small males everywhere then. I won't fret over them, just keep an eye on them and see what happens. I'd like to have babies eventually, and have a RIR Rooser, but he needs to step up!

Thank you everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by