1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can barely walk HELP ME PLEASE! *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittykittykitty, Sep 29, 2011.

1. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    My roo is having a REALLY hard time walking. He doesn't bend his "knees" at all! He does this waddle thing then sits down like this
    [​IMG]
    He almost never stands like the rest of my chickens.
    [​IMG]
    And it looks like he's in a lot of pain!
    here is a picture of his feet if you need it
    [​IMG]
    And he has a MAJOR limp.
    Is something wrong with his legs? are they broken?

PLEASE HELP MY BUDDY!!!!

He eats and drinks and poops fine btw

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Anyone!??!??!?!?!??!?

3. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I do not believe his legs are broken. Can you post other symptoms/observations, changes in environment, feed etc etc. There are different poultry illnesses that can cause this, which is why more info is needed. One of the stickied post to this forum will give you an idea of the information that everyone needs. [​IMG]

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    They don't look swollen, but can you show us a pic of the BOTTOM of his feet?

5. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Feel his legs up to the hip. Are there any hot points? Does he seem to not want his legs messed with? Are there any spots where the bone seems to be moving, besides the joints (broken bone)? Are there any joints that won't move? Be careful to be extra gentle, and do it slowly. Watch how he reacts.
    I don't know what it could be, but, personally, I'd get him into a warm, calm environment like the kitchen or somewhere in the house. It's really good that he's eating and drinking. It's also good that he's still trying to move around and act normally (judging from the pictures)

How long has he been like this?
    Hope he gets better!

6. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. EE roo, 13 weeks, around 3 pounds

2) What is the behavior, exactly. sitting a lot, not moving for long periods, trouble walking

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? since yesterday

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. i don't know

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. i don't know what caused it.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. yes

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. i posted pictures

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use wood shavings for bedding, elevated coop.

7. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    The Chickens' Maid :

Feel his legs up to the hip. Are there any hot points? Does he seem to not want his legs messed with? Are there any spots where the bone seems to be moving, besides the joints (broken bone)? Are there any joints that won't move? Be careful to be extra gentle, and do it slowly. Watch how he reacts.
    I don't know what it could be, but, personally, I'd get him into a warm, calm environment like the kitchen or somewhere in the house. It's really good that he's eating and drinking. It's also good that he's still trying to move around and act normally (judging from the pictures)

How long has he been like this?
    Hope he gets better!

He hates his legs messed with. His "knees" don't move. He has been like this since yesterday. His knee area feels really hot!​

8. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Sounds similar to a Mycoplasma infection or Tenosynovitis. I could be way off, but I would recommend getting a vitamin booster at least and take him to a vet. Vitamin deficiency can cause problems with legs.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of one of his recent poos?

9. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Here is a picture of his recent poo:

[​IMG]
    There is no blood. It's just brown and liquidy.

10. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    anyone else????? does the poop pic help????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by