can birds be bi sexual?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wildorchid053, Sep 19, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i have what i thought was 3RIR roos and 1RIR hen..it hasn't ever crowed. is about 5" smaller than the other roos. they were all born the same time.. they are 5 mos old and last night it mounted one of my hens.. do hens do this or is it a roo?

[​IMG]
    this is he/she with other sex link hens the tail doesn't curl like the other roos either
    [​IMG]

this is what the other roo looks like..

2. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    Rooster,I raise RIR and it looks like the roosters I have.I have one that is considerably smaller than the other two as well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  3. delawaregirl09

delawaregirl09 Chillin' With My Peeps

You have Three RIR Roosters. I love them, they are beautiful! And nice sex-links too on the hens!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    its a roo.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree, the 2nd pic shows a sexlink hen and 2 roos.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Agreed.

7. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    DEFINELTY a rooster probobaly cause that one is smaller it lacks confidence thats how my little red is he doesnt crow as much as big red does

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

To answer your question, yes hens do do this too. It tends to happen more when there isn't a roo in the population. I have one BSL that crows every morning when getting up and every evening before going to bed. She did lay really pretty large brown eggs. Double yolks at least once a week.

This behavior started the fall of her 2nd year. We had a rooster but he had started chasing my old cats and I was having none of that. He moved away and Broomhilda has taken over his place as roo. She has always been top hen now she is top roo too.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That's definately a roo. I started out with 2 RIR roos. One was smaller and had curled toes. We called him Gimpy. Even though he feathered in completely he never crowed. He was so sweet. Sadly a coon got him & one of my ducks [​IMG]

I recently had to sell my other RIR roo (and his girls went with him)
    After he was about a year old he started jumping on your back if you weren't looking. Scared the heck out of the kids. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by