Can Black Sex-link chickens be shown in fairs?

The Mother Hen

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
So I have this (almost) 7 month old black sex-link chicken and I want to show her at the fair. Is she a breed that can be shown because I am new to this and it's my first time at fairs. She is healthy and her feather are incredibly shiny. Also, can I show Buff orpingtons as well? I want to show them individually in the "beauty pageant..." silly, I know. The show is on the 7th, so do you know any tricks I can do to make my chicken extra pretty?

Last edited:
Check with the rules of the fair in question. The Black Sex Link isn't a breed, but a hybrid/mix/mutt. However, some local fairs are not sanctioned or anything particularly oriented to being a true poultry show but more a place for young folks to be judged on their husbandry skills. In other words, in some fairs, the bird isn't being judged as much as its keeper.

In a real poultry show, no, the BSL could not be entered as it isn't a breed at all. Hope that helps.

So I have this (almost) 7 month old black sex-link chicken and I want to show her at the fair. Is she a breed that can be shown because I am new to this and it's my first time at fairs. She is healthy and her feather are incredibly shiny. Also, can I show Buff orpingtons as well? I want to show them individually in the "beauty pageant..." silly, I know. The show is on the 7th, so do you know any tricks I can do to make my chicken extra pretty?
And yes on the buff orpingtons - they are a recognized breed.

Extra pretty means a bath, clip nails, trim beak and make sure the feet are clean when you get to the show.

Oh and no mites - flea & tick shampoo is a good bet

Back
Top Bottom