Can Black Spots on Eggs Be Cancerous?

Six Goldies

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 9, 2014
I know this sounds really strange to ask, but one of our 7m old BA's ( Black Austrolorps) laid an egg that had a good sized black spot on it 4 days ago. I didnt think much of it, and put it in the fridge with the other eggs.

This morning I went to put the last few days eggs into a carton and when I picked up the egg with the black spot, the spot had eaten into the shell.

I picked away the shell to the 'skin' layer and the spot is now on the skin.

I was able to pick the spot off of the skin, it almost reminds me of a scab.

The egg inside seemed ok , but I threw it out just the same. Does anyone know what this is? She hasn't laid another one like it since Thursday.

Last edited:
What it looks like to me, is a calcium spot that absorbed a lot of pigment. if you scratch the spot, it will break off right down to the membrane. Not unusual, or unsafe to eat. just leave the spots as they are on the egg. If she does it often, it may indicate that she is last to feed. See where she is in pecking order. But really, it's usually nothing to worry about.
smile.png

The safety sheet on black spots says black spots are know to cause cancer in the state of California. In any other state the egg is safe to eat.
Hope this helps.

The safety sheet on black spots says black spots are know to cause cancer in the state of California. In any other state the egg is safe to eat.
Hope this helps.

What?? Are you serious? Would you please post a link to this? I know that everything in CA causes cancer but really, egg shells?
Not doubting you, I've just got see this with my own eyes!

Back
Top Bottom