Can Black Spots on Eggs Be Cancerous?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Six Goldies, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Six Goldies

Six Goldies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    I know this sounds really strange to ask, but one of our 7m old BA's ( Black Austrolorps) laid an egg that had a good sized black spot on it 4 days ago. I didnt think much of it, and put it in the fridge with the other eggs.
    [​IMG]

This morning I went to put the last few days eggs into a carton and when I picked up the egg with the black spot, the spot had eaten into the shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked away the shell to the 'skin' layer and the spot is now on the skin.

[​IMG]

I was able to pick the spot off of the skin, it almost reminds me of a scab.

[​IMG]

The egg inside seemed ok , but I threw it out just the same. Does anyone know what this is? She hasn't laid another one like it since Thursday.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    What it looks like to me, is a calcium spot that absorbed a lot of pigment. if you scratch the spot, it will break off right down to the membrane. Not unusual, or unsafe to eat. just leave the spots as they are on the egg. If she does it often, it may indicate that she is last to feed. See where she is in pecking order. But really, it's usually nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The safety sheet on black spots says black spots are know to cause cancer in the state of California. In any other state the egg is safe to eat.
    Hope this helps.

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    What?? Are you serious? Would you please post a link to this? I know that everything in CA causes cancer but really, egg shells?
    Not doubting you, I've just got see this with my own eyes!

5. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    If you live in Kalifernia and eat enough eggshells with black spots.........

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG] you just made me laugh so hard!

7. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

You should doubt me on this one....

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  8. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You are wicked! I just spread this crap on another thread. Yer killin' me! Luckily, in that thread, I can bury my head in the sand as it were.....[​IMG][​IMG]

9. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I just couldn't help it. I be like that smoetimes.

10. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well hey, I went to bed laughing, thanks for that! I guess I need to lighten up a little, too serious for my own good. Two points for you[​IMG] I've issued myself a BOLO on your posts!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by