CAN BLACK & WHITE MAGPIE DUCKS FLY ?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zaccurry16, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Zaccurry16

Zaccurry16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    some people say yes and some people say no. i don't know what to think.[​IMG]. just like the khaki they say that the khaki can't fly and i seen some fly. so i want to know can black & white magpie ducks fly [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    All of my ducks even the heavier ones have been able to "fly" somewhat but it was usually just when they got spooked.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    This probably doesn't help you at all, but their somewhat distant cousins the Anconas (about a pound heavier) cannot really fly. The best they can do is little, low run-and-jump-flap/glide-falls.[​IMG] They can't get over their 4-foot pen wall.

4. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Khakis also typically weigh less than Magpies, so Magpies could hypothetically have less of an ability to fly than Khakis, since they are heavier.

5. Call Queen

Call Queen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Generally speaking no, usually only the bantam breeds and muscovies can achieve sustained flight, but I've seen exceptions to the rule.

6. Ancona Breeder

Ancona Breeder Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    They may get a little air but not much

7. beardiemom

beardiemom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Western MA
    Ours like to catch air coming down their ramp or from a little knoll, but they don't fly. We have never clipped wings and they are content behind a 2 foot fence.

8. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I agree, they can't fly. They can however jump a few feet high and long when they flap their wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by