Can blood ring bacteria spread to other eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeffross1968, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    My first hatch was from my own hens. No blood rings, and every fertilized egg hatched. This second batch is a mixture of Turken eggs I ordrered from someone here, and eggs from my hens. I noticed, Day 6, what looked like blood rings on both my eggs and the purchased ones. Is it likely that both sets of eggs had the bacterial infection, or that one set had them and it migrated to the others? Not really sure how that works...

2. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    I dont know but i would like to find out too

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It can spread, but usually only if the eggs have been washed and came in contact with the "weeping" egg's juices...

4. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Ah ok then i did have 2 that were "infected", but I dont wash my eggs before setting them. I want that bloom left on.

5. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Just to clarify something else I thought I might've heard somewhere down the line: can't blood rings also be a sign that the incubator may not have been cleaned out as well as it should've been after the last hatch? My set-up has hatch mats and hatch trays to lay at lockdown, but I see a lot of other set-ups with wire. Hatching is a messy process: there can be blood, undigested yolk, etc. There can also be poo, depending on how long you use your bator as a fluffer. Once these teeny tiny germs set in, then you raise the temp and humidity to optimum growing conditions for bacteria, they can take off.

I've "heard" that it can be one of the causes for blood ring bacteria, but I don't have any experience.

Good luck with the rest of the eggs!

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Good point! To clean my bators, I take a spray bottle and fill with water and make a dilute bleach solution. About 5:1. (water to bleach)

Spritz it down and let it dry. Before the next hatch, let the incubator run to try and get any residue bleach out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by