1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Boar hogs live together?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by la dee da, Nov 8, 2009.

1. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    I have searched and searched but I can't find the answer anywhere. All I can find is information on how to take care of one Boar, just one. So I'm wondering, can boar hogs live together, or would they kill each other? Can they live on different sides of a field fence, or would they try and kill each other through it? Also, can you keep a boar in with gilts and sows 24/7/365, or do you absolutley have to separate them at some point? Thanks in advance!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    We used to keep boars together. Problem with keeping the boar in with gilts and sows is that they will all get bred. If that is what you want, that's OK though. I would separate the females just before they farrow though.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think that they can..they're will just be more squabbles if they arent fixed...
    My 2 male pigs are fixed and live together fine..

4. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    yes I keep my boar hogs together with no problems

5. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow talk about differing opinions! I posted this same question on BYH and two people responded with a strong NO. What breeds are/were your hogs? Were they in close confinment or on pasture? Thank you [​IMG].

6. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    close confinement for ours

we have 125 hogs on the farm and doing this for over 10 years. we have kept some big boar hogs in together in a small run in hut with some small open pasture lot.
    they did fine. we always do this, but if for any reason you get a fight starting or whatever, you have to handle it and move one.
    but again, for me I didn't have any trouble and haven't to this day.

remember too they must be about same size. one big boar and one small one usually doesn't match well....big hogs will pick on little hogs definitely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by