Can bradford pear fungus hurt my bantams??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kchicnc, Sep 29, 2015.

  1. kchicnc

    kchicnc Out Of The Brooder

    34
    1
    26
    Jul 24, 2015
    NC
    We have a bradford pear in our back yard and where my bantam run is there is whutw moldy looking fungus all over the ground ...The bantams are shut up in their coop I want let them out in thier run. It smells really bad also .. I didnt havr this problem before but we have had lots of rain...The feed store said I could use hydrated lime to kill the fungus and it wouldnt hurt the bantams ...The bantams are 10 weeks old...There are small seed looking things all over our yard ...If anyonr has any suggestions please let me know ...:)
     
  2. TwoCrows

    TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

    32,439
    6,241
    621
    Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't let your birds eat anything with fungus or mold on it. Molds and fungi can be deadly to birds. Either let this fungi and mold die off or use something on it to kill it. I just dealt with a fungus in my flock that nearly killed them. We had a very wet year and there is mold and mildew under some of our trees. Now that I pulled them through this episode, nobody is going outside until this stuff dies off for the year or I find a fungicide to kill it off.
     
  3. kchicnc

    kchicnc Out Of The Brooder

    34
    1
    26
    Jul 24, 2015
    NC
    This year has been so dry and all of a sudden we get all our rain within a week...I am definitely not gonna let them back out there ... We have another coop coming this evening and were gonna move them away from the bradford pear...I am wonderinh if the hydrated lime would hurt them?..I had thought about putting some in my adult lots also ...
     
  4. TwoCrows

    TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

    32,439
    6,241
    621
    Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't think Lime will hurt them as long as they don't wolf it down. I highly doubt they will touch the stuff. Copper Sulfate mixed with Lime (not sure of the percentages) in a gallon of water is supposed to be really good for killing molds, fungus and mildews. I have such a large area to work with I am not sure how I am going to kill this stuff off. I may just section these areas off so the birds don't have access to it. Not sure yet.

    Good luck!
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by