Can broodies get bed sores???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sjisty, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have a broody hen who has been on an empty nest for probably 4 weeks. Today when she was off the nest eating, I noticed a large area (bigger than a marble, smaller than a golf ball) on her bum. It had a substance coming out of it that almost looked like jelly. It was dark and tarry. When I expressed it, it was obvious that it hurt her. I brought her inside, flushed it out with warm water with betadine, and packed it with Furazone.

Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture tonight but can take one tomorrow.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Never leave a broody hen broody,unless she is hatching eggs. Leaving them is dangerous to their health,they do not eat/drink properly,they can become malnourished,etc. To break a broody you have to place her in a cage with a wire bottom,you want air to circulate on her breast and underneath her. Broodiness is tied to elevated body temp,you want to bring body temp down. Keep her somewhere where she can see light,broody hens love the dark,you want to do the opposite of what she wants. Make sure she has food/water. The longer a hen is left to be broody,the longer it will take to break her.

Sore on her bottom,may be tied to her sitting. Clean and apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to chicken),watch for maggots. I would try and break her from being broody,or if she has finished her broodiness,separate her for awhile to make sure no other chickens will pick/peck at this wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by