Can broody hen keep my baby chicks warm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jrodt, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Jrodt

Jrodt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    I live in Denver Colorado and have a broody silkie hen sitting and taking care of two Americana chicks that are 1 week old. Will she be able to keep them warm in 10 degree weather at night? It is supposed to snow a lot lately and I don't know if I can keep them out in as low as 10 degrees. Thanks you![​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've got six 2 week old chicks with a broody out in the coop...was -12F this morning and they all came out of nest to eat for 5-10 minutes, then back in nest...mama was the first back in then the chicks went back one by one.

Just make sure there are NO drafts on her at all.

[​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Aart: I love your broody box. Can you please share some of the details about it's construction and use? 1/4" ply? Interior framing? Size? Do you use it for both hatching and brooding? Solid bottom? any access other than big front hole?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The nest is 14" wide, 16" deep and 16" tall, the entrance hole(only access) is 10" diameter centered 7" from top.

The plywood is laun, it's about 3/16" to 1/4" thick, it's usually used as an underlayment for flooring and costs about $17 a 4' x 8' sheet.

The framework is 1 1/2" x 1 3/4" (ripped 2x4's, my lumber guy is great at ripping 2x4's-I built most my coop framework out of them).
    4 pieces screwed onto both top and bottom of nest, then sides screwed into those.
    There's couple pieces screwed on the outside bottom also, to raise it off the floor 1 3/4" ....because of the level of floor bedding.

There are some gaps, 1/4" to 1/2", where the plywood should meet in places, I think I mismeasured a bit.....
    ......but left them for some ventilation, turning a slight error into a functional aspect ;-).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Thanks. Sounds like a pretty easy construct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by