Can brown eggs turn blue?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeezyBeezy, Jan 16, 2011.

1. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Ok, I know the eggs can't actually turn without some dye... but...

My young EE Pook began laying in Oct or Nov. She laid very small blue-green eggs. About a month later, another EE Bossy started squatting, then 2 weeks laying large brown eggs. This continued for about a month. In the meantime, my two adults weren't laying- turns out they molted hard. Both of them lay brown eggs.

So, bring on the short days, cold weather, and molting = no eggs. Then last week, I thought Pook began to lay again, with some pretty blue green eggs showing up. My husband kept insisting he saw Bossy on the nest, but I told him that couldn't be, since they were blue eggs.

This morning Bossy made a bee-line for the nest, and we waited until she laid her egg. And it's BLUE/GREEN. We saw her do it!!

Is this possible? I have two other EEs who aren't laying yet, whose faces aren't very red, and who I've never seen squat or go on the nest. My adults aren't laying yet, and my one may not ever start again (poor egg production and quality this fall- thin shelled, broken ,etc). Can the color gland kick in late?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A chicken is hatched with the gene that will determine the color of egg that she lays. The deepness of the tint that they lay can change....darker at the beginning of their laying cycle to lighter later on..... but the overall color will not change.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    then I'm stumped, 'cause someone was laying big brown eggs out there...!

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Maybe there was too much bloom on the eggs making them look green?? Sorry, not much idea..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by