Can Buff orpington and RIR's be put together

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lacysummer, Jul 21, 2008.

1. lacysummer

lacysummer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Southern West Virginia
    I am looking into which breeds I want to get once I get back from vacation, this is my first time owning chickens

I live in Beckley, wv not to far from a ski resort so it does get cold and icy here and I think I may want 2 buff orpingtons (cause they are cute I love their color) and 2 RIRs (for their eggs laying). I hope that both breeds will be friendly I have 2 kids, ages 2.5 and 1.5.

Any info on these breeds or any other you think would be a better choice would be appreciated, thanks

Lacy

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Those two breeds should work fine for you and they should get along with each other just fine.

RIR hens and Buff Orpingtons tend to be friendly and non-aggressive.

-Kim

3. sunshineinsc

sunshineinsc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    columbia,sc
    I have 2 of each, buffs,rirs and australorps together and they do fine. Mine are very kid friendly. My DD has them eating their treats out of her hand.

My buff orpingtons were an impulse buy cause they were so cute and so far my buff is the only one laying! I get at least 4 eggs a week.

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    They would be great together. I have 16 RIR's and 6 BO along with 3 other breeds. They were all raised together and get along just fine. I love these birds! My RIR and BO are all laying. They are very friendly!

Good luck with your birds!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have a BO roo and a RIR roo living in the same coop.

If the roo's can get along, you know the hens will.

6. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Oh yeah, they'll do fine!

7. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I have many different breeds together and have had no problems. My flock consists of:

BO's
    Austrolopes
    Cochins
    Polishs
    Brahmas
    Fayoumis
    RIRs
    EE's
    Wyandottes
    Barred Rocks

You could even through the ducks in and still not have an issue. They weren't raised together either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by